March 18, 2009

Summer is here

It seems like my life is filled with going to lessons and studying. And the strangest thing is that I feel I should be studying more... Especially more Chinese. It's not enough to sit in class almost 20 hours per week and I should be studying more during the afternoons, but I just can't. Too much is too much. Despite the lack of extra effort, at least one of my Chinese teachers thinks I'm a good student. Probably mainly because I come to class on time :P

I've also studied Chinese twice now with a Chinese girl. I read texts from my book and she corrects my pronunciation. And then I correct her English pronunciation. The pronunciation is very hard and the problem is that speaking is the most important thing. There are four different tones in Chinese and I've been told now, that I can read the words well but the tones are not correct. And if I don't get the tones exactly right most of the Chinese people don't even try to understand me.

So, in other words, I haven't been doing almost anything lately. On Saturday we had a birthday party in the dormitory for a four year old girl from Bangladesh, whose mother is studying here. Besides that I've only gone to a massage and studied. But now I can start sightseeing because the Summer is here! And yes, I mean Summer, not Spring. Because in my book 20 degrees and more is Summer not Spring, and about 20 degrees is what we've had this week.

By the way, coming here for the Autumn would have been easier, because then other people would have been interested in getting to know people and go sightseeing. Now everyone has their own friends and they've seen everything they want to see. And also, in case you were wondering, the university, nor anyone else in here, doesn't arrange anything for the foreign students. So no parties and no events. Kinda sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Squeeee summer!!!

Täällä tuli rakeita taivaan täydeltä! Kivaa lukee sun blogia!

Musi!

"Melissa"

Anna-Kaisa said...

Eilen tuli lunta :(

Mutta eiköhän se kesä ole tulossa koko ajan :)