June 26, 2009

18.06.09 Yuanmingyuan Ruins and shopping

After my exam we decided to go and see the Yuanmingyuan Ruins Park with Paula. The park was once an imperial garden built during the Qing dynasty, but in 1860 the French and British troops destroyed and looted it quite completely. The park was pretty and it must have been very nice before it was destroyed. Nowadays, you can only see ruins and lakes that are filled with vegetation.

The Yuanmingyuan Ruins

After the park we went shopping to downtown and the weather seemed to just get worse and worse. It was really smogy/ foggy / smoky (don't know which one, but it was really bad) and when we got to downtown you couldn't even see across the street clearly. I don't know why the weather was so bad, because we just had a big thunderstorm and lots of rain on Tuesday and I would have thought that would have cleared the air, but obviously not. Despite the awful weather, I managed to find three new tops, so now I'm ready for some more traveling :).

A bad day in Beijing

No comments: